Monday, February 13, 2012

Steps toward Healing, Part 1

Many people ask themselves, why am I sick? There are a lot of reasons behind diseases. However the word of God gives examples in which sickness touches an individual to open a door to a blessing, to further glorify God. In other words, to open for a chance to experience a miracle!

As I've said I have been blessed with the opportunity to witness such miracles in myself and others. Though most people connect miracles with the idea of instantaneous healing, there are miracles that are in fact, a process. In my case, the road to healing has been a process, one that had allowed me to get a firm grip of God's hand, allowing Him to work through me in steps and each day guides me to a more stable tomorrow, to make fulfilling life choices that allow me to reach my potential as a human being without the shackles of the disease.

It happens that when enjoying of full health we tend to take for granted certain things. If anything this experience has served not only to further expand my relationship with God but also to enjoy moments that in other circumstances might have come across as trivial. I have learned to be grateful for little chances, to enjoy my family to the fullest and to share with others that might be going through similar situations as me. For this I am grateful, humbled and happy to be given such a grand opportunity.
Jesus Christ, our Lord has taught me this and more through His Word and thanks to walking in faith I have been able to avoid the pits of depression and self-pity. I have learned to see His hand, guiding mine, every step of the way.

Sometimes total restoration comes with instructions attached.
Let's take a look at 2Kings 5: 1-19
This is perhaps the best illustration of a process healing.

Naaman, a high ranking officer, had to follow a certain set of instructions to finally be completely healed of his leprosy. God could have granted him an instant miracle, a healing word from His lips, a healing touch through the hands of the prophet, however he was asked to follow a different path.

Naaman was forced out of his comfort zone, leave his home behind to go and submerge in the Jordan (river which not known for its beautiful and crystal sparkling streams!) because that is where God called him to be…

There are a couple of things worth noticing in this passage, the first being that Naaman, recognized God as a healer and completely trusted in the Lord’s power to bring comfort and restoration. Not only did he stretch his hand out to God, but he let himself be guided through.

I am by no means casting medicine aside. Medical treatments are effective and exist for a reason; in fact submitting to medical care and treatment should not interfere with faith at all. After all Proverbs 21:31 reads: "The horse is prepared for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord." (NIV)  This means we can do an assortment of things, take our meds, follow guidelines, it is all part of the plan and if on top of that we really listen and hold on to the word of God, we will be truly and completely free of affliction! Get ready for your healing because once God touches you with his word, you will overcome any battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment